Welcome

Frequently travelling for business across Canada (mostly West) and the U.S. (periodically), we are privileged with eating in various cities, experiencing the life of the city and through the magic of food, different cultures.

The reason for starting this site was because we can't tell you the number of times we would look on other sites to find reviews of restaurants by the general public, only to come away scratching our heads. Yes, that likely will make us sound like snobs, but hey...there really is no accounting for some people's taste.

Unlike most "reviewers", we never, ever tell the restaurant who we are, or what we are doing. This ensures that we receive no special treatment, and that the establishments aren't on their "best behavior" just because we're there. So you'll hear about the worst of the worst, the best of the best and everything from fast food to luxurious restuarants in our travels, as that is the range and diversity of our palates. Please join us on what has been one hell of a food ride thus far, as we finally unveil, without prejudice, what we really think of the food and let you decide where to eat your next meal.





Find a review

Movado: Winnipeg Manitoba

On the road by myself...in Winnipeg no less. So where to eat? I'm not really in the mood for something fancy, and I've left my book back at my hotel. I know, I know...nothing more pathetic than someone sitting alone in a restaurant with a book. Anyhow, with no reading material, I decided to go to Movada, a modern looking sports bar. Now, I have to admit, I'm instantly suspicious of empty restaurants, moreso when they are connected to, and share a kitchen with a Perkins (do they still exist????). But there's a hockey game to keep me occupied, and I'm having a nachos craving.

I'm not entirely sure how to describe the ambiance except to say that if anyone has been in a Molson's Brew House at 8pm on a friday night, that was virtually empty, then you've been to Movado. The solitude is welcome to me, but it makes the restaurant seem a little sad and pathetic.

Now, the last time I was here was about 5 years ago, and the decor was significantly more warm, funky, and mellow...not so much "sports bar", although they have always had big screen tv's with sporting events on.

Service was fairly quick (not surprising with only 6 people in here), and the waitress courteous. After placing my drink order, she delivered it just in time to take my nachos order. Good thing I was only looking for nachos, because the menu has been downgraded to standard pub fare.

Anyhow, the nachos came, and...damn! A heaping plate of chips with green pepper, black olives, jalepinos, onion, ground beef, and CHEESE!!! Wow. Not sure I've seen this much cheese on a plate of nachos that I haven't made at home. And to think, one of the options for the nachos was to get EXTRA cheese. Can't even fathom that one. I'd be backed up for a month!!

Pretty darn good value for $12. Looked great, tasted great, and hey...3 more tables walked in while I was getting ready to leave.


[Ok. Update. The till is down, so I must either wait to pay my bill, or pay cash, and they likely don't have change for $100. The waitress has seemingly disappeared, hopefully to hand write my bill and try to scrape up $75 in change.]


Location Visited: 305 Madison St. Winnipeg

Ratings:

Ambiance: Sports Bar
Presentation: Average
Price: $12
Service: Average
Value: Good


Movado on Urbanspoon
The Meal Truth - Undercover food critics

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Follow themealtruth on Twitter